- Distance: 10 miles
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Minimum Duration: 5 hrs
- Refreshments: PubCafe
- Route: Download .gpx file
- Start Grid Ref: SK 28009 72126
Paid parking is available at Robin Hood Inn, DE45 1PQ.
Please do not rely on this walking guide to solely navigate the hike. Always take a paper map and compass with you and make sure you know how to use them. Hiking is generally safe, but there are always potential risks. Use common sense, plan your route beforehand and make a reasonable judgment at all times.
- From the main car park next to the Robin Hood Inn, turn right down Baslow Road heading towards Baslow. Continue along the road for about 200 meters until reaching a stile in the wall on the right. Cross the stile and ascend up over the moorland for about half a mile until reaching a wooded area.
- Continue through the wooded area for a further half a mile, descending towards Sheffield Road.
- Cross over the road and head through the gate opposite. The path descends down from where you cross a brook and, once again, begin to ascend.
- Continue on the path as you climb up through the wood for about half a mile. Turn right when the path eventually joins another path, climbing to the top of the open moorland.
- Continue north on the path, heading past the Eagle Stone. Baslow Edge will be on your left.
- Cross the road and continue along the path with Curbar Edge to the left. Be sure to check the stunning rock formations and views over the valley.
- Curbar Edge drops down a short rocky decline to Froggatt Edge. Eventually, open moorland will meet a wooded area at a gate. Continue forward until meeting the road.
- Turn right and head up the road. After about 50 meters, cross the road and head over the stile in the fence. Head down the path, cross the stream and up the bank, reaching the car park.
- Continue along the path through The Haywood trees with the car park to the immediate right. After passing the car park, continue and after about 100 meters, turn right through the gate in the wall, crossing diagonally up the field towards the Grouse Inn pub – the perfect time for refreshments.
- From the pub, turn left up the road for 30 meters or so. Cross the road and head through the stile up towards White Edge in the distance.
- After crossing another stile, head through a small crop of trees until meeting another path. Turn right and continue for about half a mile until reaching the main path which heads right along White Edge.
- Walk along White Edge for roughly 1.5 miles. Look out for wild deer that can often be seen on the open moorland.
- Towards the end of White Edge, continue forward until reaching Clodhall Lane.
- Turn left along Clodhall Lane until meeting Sheffield Road for the second time.
- Cross Sheffield Road, head through the gate and ascend up the path towards Birchen Edge.
- Stay on the path skirting along Birchen Edge until meeting the starting point car park.
Questions or comment about this route? Leave them in the comments section below.