- Distance: 6 miles
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Minimum Duration: 3 hrs
- Refreshments: PubCafe
- Route: Download .gpx file
- Start Grid Ref: SK 46092 34012
Free parking is available on Longmoor Lane, Breaston, DE72 3BQ. Please be respectful when parking as it is a residential area.
Weather ForecastDerbyshire, UK
Please do not rely on this walking guide to solely navigate a hike. Always take a paper map and compass with you and make sure you know how to use them. Hiking is generally safe, but there are always potential risks. Use common sense, plan your route beforehand and make a reasonable judgment at all times.
- From the end of Longmoor Lane, turn right along Risley Lane. After 30 meters, take the old canal path that passes alongside The Navigation Inn.
- Continue along the old canal path for about a mile before meeting Hopwell Road.
- Turn right along Hopwell Road for about 100 meters. Cross over the stile on the left and head into the field.
- Continue across the adjoining fields until meeting Nottingham Road.
- Turn right along Nottingham Road and continue for about 650 meters. Turn left up a small road that leads up to Hopwell Hall.
- Upon meeting the main gate of Hopwell Hall, follow the path left around the side of the house through the wood plantation. Look out for the alpacas in the field to the left just after the woods.
- Continue across the track, passing Hopwell Hall farm on your right.
- Follow the path for about half a mile across the fields. Take in the great views across Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.
- At the Golden Brook, cross the wooden footbridge, turn right and follow the path as it ascends up the field.
- Turn right at the track and head down towards Risley.
- At Risley, turn left and continue for or about 50 meters. Cross over Derby Road and head along Breaston Lane, back to the start point at Breaston.
Questions or comment about this route? Leave them in the comments section below.