Max elevation: 324 m
Min elevation: 163 m
Total climbing: 259 m
A beautiful walk that takes in the tranquil valley of Lathkill Dale – a Peak District ‘must visit’. Starting from the free road side parking area, you head across fields down towards Lathkill Dale, before climbing back out again to Over Haddon for refreshments. You then once again descend back down to the river for one final visit, before making the final climb back out of the valley to the starting point of the walk.
- Cross over Long Rake Road/Back Lane and head through the stone stile in the wall opposite the road side parking area. Interesting Fact: The initial section of the walk is part of the Limestone Way, a long-distant footpath that crosses Derbyshire.
- Continue diagonally across several fields following the footpath for roughly 900 meters before meeting Low Moor Wood. Briefly head through the small wood and continue across another field up towards Calling Low Farm.
- Continue on the path and take the stile in the wall to the right of the farm. Follow the path through another small wood as it bends westward across more fields and slowly descends towards the trees in the valley ahead.
- Upon meeting the final wall before the trees, head through the stile and drop steeply down the well marked stone steps. Continue down, all the way to the valley floor.
- At the bottom, turn right and continue for about 300 meters until meeting the River Lathkill.
- Cross the river and turn right. Continue along the path for about 3 km, with the river close to your right.
- Eventually the track will meet a small road with a large house on the right. Continue up the road as it steeply snakes upward, first left and then right, up to the village of Over Haddon. There are a couple of cafes and a pub along this stretch if you need a pit stop.
- Opposite the main car park, head right up Main Street. Follow Main Street until it becomes School Lane, continuing past the Lathkill Hotel on the left. Head towards the stile in the wall where the road turns sharp left. Leave the road through the stile, taking the path (wellgate lane) down across the fields south east back towards the River Lathkill.
- The path will meet Back Lane. Follow the the lane down. Just before crossing the bridge over the River Lathkill, turn right and take the path back along the river. You will eventually meet the same house you passed in step 7.
- Turn left and head past the house, crossing the bridge across the River Lathkill.
- Follow the track as it steeply ascends out of the valley.
- Upon reaching the top, head for Meadow Place Farm.
- Walk through the farm and follow the path out the other side along the remaining set of fields to Back Lane.
- At Back Lane, turn right for the remaining ascent, returning to the start point of the walk.