Weather ForecastDerbyshire, UK
Map and Gradient
Max elevation: 570 m
Min elevation: 202 m
Total climbing: 529 m
Safety first, folks
Please do not rely on the guidance below to navigate the hike. We highly recommend downloading the accompanying GPX file and loading it into a navigation device/app. Always take a physical map and compass with you as backup. Take care out there.
- From the start point, ascend up Pindale Road for about 50 meters, then head over the stile on the right.
- Follow the path that roughly follows the river (Peakshole Water), crossing over several fields, all the way to Castleton.
- Head through Castleton following the main road until meeting the mini island.
- At the mini island, turn left and walk for about 200 meters with the stream on the right.
- Ascend up Goosehill Road. Continue through the gate at the end and follow the path alongside the wall until meeting the main road again next to Speedwell Cavern.
- Cross over the road and head through the stile following the path to Treak Cliff Cavern.
- Continue past Treak Cliff Cavern, following the path as it ascends to the next Cavern; Blue John.
- Head up to towards the main road, turn left and walk for about 300 meters until meeting the gated stile on the right.
- Head through the gated stile and walk up towards the foot of Mam Tor.
- Upon meeting the road, head through the gated stile and make the ascent up Mam Tor. Be sure to enjoy the glorious views at the top.
- Continue along the path following the Great Ridge for about 1.5 miles, passing Hollins Cross, until meeting Back Tor.
- Rather than continuing along the path up Back Tor, head over the stile on the right and head through Brocker Booth Plantation.
- Continue on the path for about 500 meters until it eventually turns right and begins to descends.
- After the cottage, turn right on the final descent back to Hope.
Questions or comment about this route? Leave them in the comments section below.