- Distance: 10.5 miles
- Difficulty: Hard
- Minimum Duration: 5 hrs
- Refreshments: PubCafe
- Route: Download .gpx file
- Start Grid Ref: SK 20166 85207
Paid parking is available at Heatherdene Car Park, S33 0BY.
Weather ForecastDerbyshire, UK
Please do not rely on the guidance outlined to solely navigate the hike. We highly recommend downloading the accompanying GPX file to assist navigation - but don't rely on this either. Always take a physical map and compass with you as backup, and know how to use them.
- Leave the main entrance of the Hetherdene Carpark, turn right and head along the A6013, crossing Lady Bower Reservoir. At the junction with the traffic lights, turn right, cross over the road and pass the Lady Bower pub.
- Immediately after the Lady Bower pub, take the track on the left which begins to ascend upwards into the Lady Bower wood.
- After about 50 meters the track continues and also bends left. Take the track as it bends left and continues ascending around the back of the Lady Bower pub.
- Continue on the path, passing through a gate.
- Shortly after the gate, head right up the steep hillside, climbing until reaching the top.
- Continue on the path until reaching Whinstone Lee Tor.
- Continue along the same path for 3 miles, hugging the edge. You will pass some magnificent rock formations along the way, including the Hurkling Stones, the Wheel Stones, Dovestone Tor and Back Tor.
- The path eventually begins to drop down to the Derwent Reservoir.
- Upon reaching the shore of the Derwent Reservoir, turn left and head towards Derwent Dam. For refreshments, head down in front of the dam and towards Fairholmes.
- Once fuelled, head back along the road and continue alongside Lady Bower Reservoir until meeting Snake Road.
- Turn left and head back to the traffic lights from near the beginning of the walk.
- Retrace your steps back to Hetherdene Carpark.
Questions or comment about this route? Leave them in the comments section below.