- Distance: 7 miles
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Minimum Duration: 3 hrs
- Refreshments: Pub
- Route: Download .gpx file
- Start Grid Ref: SK 26914 78927
Free parking available on B6054 lay-by, S17 3BQ.
Weather ForecastDerbyshire, UK
Please do not rely on this walking guide to solely navigate a hike. Always take a map and compass with you and make sure know how to use them. Hiking is generally safe, but there are always potential risks. Use common sense, plan your route beforehand and make a reasonable judgment at all times.
- Leave the lay-by and cross the stile in the wall onto Big Moor.
- Ascend up the gentle gradient with the wired fence to your right for about 750 meters.
- Continue until meeting White Edge. Walk along White Edge for roughly 1.5 miles. Look out for wild deer that can often be seen on the open moorland.
- Towards the end of White Edge take the path heading down and right. Cross the stream over a wooden platform and head upwards until meeting the pay and display to car park.
- Go through to the back of the car park and join the narrow path which leads through the gate onto a well-defined path next to Curbar Edge.
- Continue along the path with Curbar Edge to the left. Check the stunning rock formations and views down over the valley.
- Curbar Edge drops down a short rocky decline to Froggatt Edge. Eventually, open moorland will meet a more wooded area at a gate. Continue forward until meeting the road.
- Turn right and head up the road. After about 50 meters, cross the road and head over the stile in the fence. Head down the path, cross the stream and up the hill, reaching another car park.
- Continue along the path through The Haywood trees with the car park to the immediate right. After passing the car park, continue and after about 100 meters, turn right through the gate in the wall, crossing diagonally up the field towards the Grouse Inn pub – the perfect time to refresh with a pint or cuppa.
- From the pub, turn left up the road for 30 meters or so. Cross the road and head through the stile back towards White Edge.
- After crossing another stile, head through a small crop of trees until meeting another path. Turn left and continue for about three-quarter mile, passing a lonesome house and eventually meeting the start point.
Questions or comment about this route? Leave them in the comments section below.