Max elevation: 313 m
Min elevation: 151 m
Total climbing: 329 m
A glorious, relatively high altitude circular hike around the River Manifold that offers visits to Castern Hall, various farms and the dominating Beeston Tor. Probably best walked during fine weather to allow you to enjoy the stunning views across the dales.
- From the main car park, head down Carr Lane towards the centre of Wetton. After walking about 100 meters down the road, head over the stile on the right and begin to cross over the open field.
- Follow the path for about 700 meters as it gently ascends, then descends, reaching Larkstone Lane.
- Cross Larkstone Lane and head through the stile opposite, continuing high along the path with the River Manifold and Cheshire Wood down to the right. There is often high chance of seeing various birds of prey from this elevated position down into the valley.
- Continue on the path for about 1 mile until reaching Upper Castern Farm down on the left. Head towards Castern Hall and follow the lane as it passes around the hall on your right. Continue on the path down the slope.
- When the path meets the lane, follow the finger post on the right across the field, over a bridge that crosses the River Manifold and up to the Rushley Farm.
- Just before entering the Rushley Farm, head right and continue to follow Lodge Lane all the way to the next farm situated by Throwly Old Hall. It’s about 1 mile between the two farms.
- Continue through the farm, through the gate and follow the path as it once again crosses several fields. The path initially ascends to the brow of the hill from where you will have a great view of Beeston Tor in the distance. The path then descends all the way to Beeston Tor.
- After passing Beeston Tor on the right, follow the finger post across the River Manifold. Turn left up the path as it makes a steep climb back up to Larkston Lane.
- On reaching Larkstone Lane, turn right and walk up the lane for about 10 meters, then take the next stile on the left.
- Head across the field until reaching Carr Lane. Continue on Carr Lane for about 200 meters before meeting another stile in the wall on the left.
- Head over the stile and follow the path on the final stretch of the walk back to Wetton.