- Distance: 10 miles
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Minimum Duration: 4 hrs
- Refreshments: PubCafe
- Route: Download .gpx file
- Start Grid Ref: SK 15688 56341
Free parking is available at A515 lay-by, DE6 1QS.
Weather ForecastDerbyshire, UK
Please do not rely on the guidance outlined to solely navigate the hike. We highly recommend downloading the accompanying GPX file to assist navigation - but don't rely on this either. Always take a physical map and compass with you as backup, and know how to use them.
- Leave the lay-by at the northern end and cross the road. Go through the gate and walk up the grassy slope to the Tissington Trail, turning left on the trail heading south.
- After about 400 meters, take the footpath after the bridge on the right heading down the bank. Pass through two gates near the underside of the bridge.
- Follow the marker posts (Bradbury Bank), uphill at first, and then descending towards the wood in the valley ahead. Go through a stile, heading downhill along the side of the bank. At the valley floor, turn sharp left proceeding down the valley with a wall on your right (note that the path has recently changed to the other side of the wall).
- Continuing down the valley, cross a stile as the terrain becomes rockier. Upon reaching the River Dove, turn right and cross the Coldeaton footbridge to the left.
- Head up the steep hillside until reaching a gate at the top. Head through the gate and follow the track for about 1 mile until reaching Alstonefield.
- Pass through Alstonefield and turn right at Beresford Lane. After about 100 meters you will meet Rakes Road near an old white water pump. Continue left heading out of Alstonefield along Rakes Road for about half a mile until reaching a stile in the wall on the right.
- Head through the stile and follow the path over the field.
- At the track, continue forward through the next field until reaching Narrowdale Farm.
- Turn right at the farm and follow the track for about three-quarters mile until reaching Beresford Lane.
- Turn right at Beresford Lane and after about 50 meters turn left and walk through Beresford Dale, following the River Dove.
- Continue on the path for 1 mile until reaching Hartington.
- Continue through Hartington village passing the Devonshire Arms on the right.
- Turn right at Hall Bank Road heading up the steep hill.
- After about 150 meters, turn right down Reynalds Lane. Follow Reynalds Lane for about 1 mile.
- Take the track heading right, back down to the River Dove.
- Upon reaching the River Dove, pass through the stile and follow the path alongside the river for about 2 miles. Savor the beautiful rock formations of Wolfscote Dale.
- You will eventually meet Coldeaton footbridge again. Pass the brick building on the left and retrace your steps back up to the lay-by.
Questions or comment about this route? Leave them in the comments section below.